WLT is expanding its staff team!
Communications and Outreach (C&O) Coordinator
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $18-$20 per hour, DOE .75 FTE
Benefits: Medical, sick leave, paid vacation, matching IRA contribution
Position Summary: The C&O Coordinator will work collaboratively with a small staff of dedicated conservationists, advancing defined initiatives. The C&O will be responsible for developing, planning and implementing WLT’s community engagement agenda via events and a wide variety of print and web communications. Through innovative, energetic, systematic approaches, and working closely with other members of the staff, the C&O will increase the size and productivity of the WLT support base.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the production of a quarterly print newsletter, monthly e-blast and weekly blog, soliciting and editing content from multiple contributors
- Produce materials and publications in-house, or, when needed, work with contracted vendors to produce and deliver materials
- Oversee the use of WLT’s website and social media to advance short and long-term initiatives
- Disseminate press releases and advertising copy. Cultivate relationships with members of the press to facilitate prompt coverage of key organizational accomplishments. Gather, write or compile news stories and facilitate their placement in local and regional publications.
- Create multi-media materials to support board, staff and key volunteers in outreach and fundraising efforts
- Create print materials to inform the public about WLT’s work. Serve as the primary, though not sole writer of WLT’s community engagement copy in its many forms.
- Devise systems for monitoring the effectiveness of all communications, produce summary reports and recommendations for future action
- Develop a quarterly line-up of property tours, naturalist outings, workshops, and other educational events that advance WLT’s current community engagement goals
- Coordinate all aspects of tabling, including selecting and registering for participation at events, recruiting and training volunteers, and creating display materials targeting the expected demographic at each event
- Coordinate all aspects of our child/youth-oriented educational summer program
- Event planning: Coordinate all aspects of a major fundraising event each spring, a significant event each fall, and several smaller and varied events (breakfast for 30, dinner parties for 12, field trips for 6, etc…) throughout the year.
- Deliver presentations in various venues, promoting the work of WLT
- Devise systems for monitoring the effectiveness of all outreach activities, produce summary reports and recommendations for future action
In all activities, work in concert with WLT staff, especially development staff, and committees comprised of staff, board and community members.
Desired Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
- Three years directly relevant work experience
- Post-secondary education in the areas of communications, graphic design, marketing or a closely related field
- A strongly collaborative temperament
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an engaging personality
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal communication skills
- Solid public speaking and presentation skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
- Graphic design skills a plus.
- Experience with event planning
- Proficiency with social media and web based communications
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative and self-direct, yet comfortably work as a key member of a small team
- Familiarity with the communities of Whatcom County
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends and increase/decrease monthly work schedule as seasonal events dictate for an annual average outcome of .75 FTE
- Discretion, creativity, strategic thinking, innovation, an entrepreneurial bent, integrity, resolve and a hearty sense of humor.
- A professional, educational or strong hobby-level interest in natural history/natural science with a PNW-orientation, a plus
- Experience with non-profit communications or fundraising a plus
This is a .75 FTE position, paid at an hourly rate, that reports to the Executive Director. A generous paid time-off package, matching IRA contributions and a medical insurance allowance are also offered. The WLT office is located in downtown Bellingham and is both smoke and fragrance free.
To apply: Provide a letter of interest, resume and two writing samples by email or conventional mail. Applications received prior to October 16, 2013 will receive priority consideration, but the position will remain open until filled. If emailing materials, please include “C&O Coordinator” in the subject line. OK to embed your letter of interest in the body of the email. Links to websites where your work can be viewed are welcome. Provide all attachments in PDF format. Please resist the urge to call.
USPS: PO Box 6131 Bellingham, WA 98227